Do not neglect the tingling sensations, numbness, weakness, and debilitating pain in the lower region from the hips to the foot. Chances are these may be the symptoms of an upcoming phase of sciatica pain.
The sciatica pain usually affects one side of the lower body and adversely affects the act of walking, sitting, and quality of life. The searing pain leaves a person in desperation for relief. Strengthening of the muscles and alleviating the stress associated with sciatic nerve can bring some respite from the intense sciatica pain. Yoga is one holistic treatment for sciatica that does not involve any medication or side effects.
Yoga moves stretch, flex, and relax the body to make the condition of sciatica pain manageable. Yoga asanas help pacify the symptoms related to the sciatica pain such as tenderness, rigidity, and trouble in walking.
Given below is a list of five excellent yoga postures for sciatica pain that one can easily practice daily for a long-lasting relief and healing. Pay attention to the instructions of the poses below:
High Lunge Pose – Utthita Ashwa Sanchalanasana: Reverse the adverse effects of a modern-day sitting syndrome by lengthening your back and hips in a high lunge pose.
1. Start in Uttanasana. Bend your knees and with an inhalation, take the left foot behind. Extend the leg as far as possible so that the right knee can form a 90-degree angle.
2. Extend your arms in front with palms on the floor. Hold the right knee forward between your hands.
3. Fold your front torso over the right thigh and look in a forward direction.
4. Straighten your left knee and lift your left thigh up towards the ceiling.
5. Hold this pose for 30 seconds.
Reclining Hand-to-Big-Toe Pose- Supta Padangusthasana: Heal your aching back and treat sciatica with a Reclining Hand-to-Big-Toe Pose.
1. Lie on the floor with your back, legs, and arms straight.
2. Upon exhalation, bend your left knee and pull the left thigh towards your stomach.
3. Keep the right leg actively compressed on the floor.
4. Loop a yoga strap around the left foot and hold it in your hands.
5. Inhale deeply to unbend the left knee and raise it higher.
6. Keep the arms fully straight and hold this pose for 60 seconds.
Half Lord of the Fishes Pose- Ardha Matsyendrasana: Cure the disease of sciatica, poor digestion, asthma, and infertility through the practice of Half Lord of the Fishes Pose.
1. Sit upright on a yoga mat. Bend the knees and rest the feet on the ground.
2. Slip your left foot under the right leg and place the left leg on a yoga mat.
3. Cross the right leg above the left leg in a standing position.
4. The left foot should rest on the outside of the right hip and right foot on the outer side of the left hip.
5. Rest the right hand behind the right hip and stack the left arm on the right knee, fingers pointing upwards.
6. Stay in this pose for 30-60 seconds.
Ardha Pincha Mayurasana–Dolphin Pose: Open and strengthen your core, back, and shoulders in the Dolphin Pose. A deeply therapeutic pose for sciatica pain.
1. Perform downward-facing dog pose (Adho- Mukha- Svanasana) correctly.
2. Lay the forearms on the floor and press these actively into the ground.
3. Broaden your shoulders and pull them towards the tailbone.
4. Align your head between the upper arms and gaze at the navel.
5. Hold this pose for 20-30 seconds.
6. To release, exhale and kneel back on the ground.
Cobra Pose–Bhujangasana: Ease the sciatica pain and tone your hips with a cobra yoga posture.
1. Lie in a prone position with your legs a few inches apart.
2. Rest your palms on a yoga mat directly under the shoulders with bent elbows.
3. Inhale, lift your forehead and chest off the ground. Rest the body weight on lower ribs.
4. Draw the shoulder blades away from the ears.
5. Straighten your arms as much as possible. Look in a forward direction.
6. Hold this pose for 30 seconds.
Don’t suffer emotionally and mentally because of blistering sciatica pain. Tame the suffering with yoga poses for sciatica pain and live an active life.