The times may be modern, but the way to keep the body robust and frolic, both physically and mentally are still prevalent in the 5000-year-old science of yoga. Practiced for centuries by the sages, seers, and yogis for maintaining the health and serenity of the body and mind, the discipline of yoga continues to be the perfect keeper of health and wellness.
“What comes Easy, won’t Last. And What will Last, won’t always come Easy.” Certainly. The quick-to-go methods fade soon, but an inversion posture that entails pliancy and strength — the Karnapidasana (Knee to Ear Pose) shall last an eternity showering the individuals with good physical and psychical health.
Karnapidasana comes from a Sanskrit word ‘Karna’ meaning “Ear”, ‘Pida’ means “Force”, and ‘Asana’ means “Seat or Pose.” Karnapidasana is an escalated practice of the Plow Pose. Hence, it is also named as ‘Raja Halasana’ (King Plough Posture).
Let’s start with the practice of Knee-To-Ear Pose:
1. To do Karnapidasana, perform Halasana first (Straight legs beyond the head while the arms, crown of the head, and shoulders rest on the floor).
2. Uplift the hips towards the ceiling and bring the knees down to the ears. Keep the legs parallel and press the ears in between the knees.
3. Keep the arms erect along the yoga mat, palms down.
4. Hold the pose for 5-6 breaths and slowly release the pose.
Modifications of the Karnapidasana:
1. During the performance of the pose, keep your hands on the back for extra support.
2. Place the feet on a yoga block for elevation.
3. If facing difficulty in placing the knees next to the ear, then rest them beside the forehead and hands to the ears. Slowly bring the knees to the ears.
As an advanced Plow Plose, the Karnapidasana is great in advantages as it is in its execution. Given below are the seven benefits of Knee to Ear Pose:
1. Activates dormant Powers: Traditionally, the Knee-to-Ear pose stimulates the Vishuddha, Svadhisthana, and Manipura Chakra. The Vishuddha purifies the body and psyche. Manipura regulates vitality and energy flow, and Svadhisthana fosters focus and productivity.
2. Kicks out Ear Problems: From the children to the adults and the males to the females, individuals are susceptible to ear problems like infections, loss of hearing ability, Tinnitus, etc. Karnapidasana is an ancient method of treating the ear problems more effectively through the application of pressure on the ears by the knees.
3. Fortifies the Back Bone: The primary support of the body ‘backbone’ that helps you to stand, sit, and bend in a safe manner requires protection. So, stretch and strengthen the spine with the practice of Knee-to-Ear Pose. Stretching keeps the bones of the back flexible leading to a full range of motion and strength prevents it from the painful fractures and injury.
4. Controls Negativity: Keep negativity at bay and the mind peaceful through the Karnapidasana. The pose harbors the capacity of Chitta Vritti Nirodha (ceasing the mind fluctuations for an ailment-free body). Exhale the gloominess and inhale the positivity in this pose.
5. Drains Fatigue: The busy lifestyle severely causes physical and mental fatigue. The practice of Knee-To-Ear Pose is helpful in relieving tiredness and lethargy from the body and mind. A regular performance of this pose keeps the practitioners high on energy levels and cheer giving them the power to live life to the fullest. You Only Live Once!
6. Enhances Digestion: Constipation, Indigestion, Bloating, and Acidity are common issues. The Karnapidasana is the yoga pose for improving the functions of the digestive tract. The position of the body in the pose gives a massage to the digestive organs and assists in amplifying its functions and productivity levels.
7. Empowers the Thyroid Glands: The thyroid gland is located in the base of the neck that controls the body’s vital functions like breathing, heart rate, body temperature, menstrual cycle, and muscle strength. Such an important organ in keeping the body healthy surely needs care. The Knee-to-Ear pose empowers the thyroid gland helping it to perform its work with efficacy.
Mold the body into the Karnapidasana for gifting the body the gems of health, vigor, happiness, and strength.
To know about Karnapidasana in further detail, explore our Yoga Teacher Training In India.