During a yoga session, you might have seen people performing gestures with their hands while practicing certain asanas and techniques. Ever wondered what these small movements with hands are for? These little movements and gestures with the hands are known as Mudras that are meant to enhance the benefits of yoga practice to a whole new level.
Mudra means “seal,” “gesture,” or “mark. Practiced with the hands and gestures, Yoga mudras provide flow of energy in the entire body and enhance the overall being of a person. The different areas of the hands are directly connected to the brain and the body. While performing different mudras with our hands, a specific energy circuit is created in the body and those concerned areas of the brain are stimulated. This helps create a stable state of mind.
Let’s explore yoga mudras that help overcome various ailments:
- Gyan Mudra: One of the most commonly used mudra in yoga, Gyan mudra or Mudra of Knowledge increases concentration and creativity. For best results, do it early morning with fresh mind. Practice this mudra while meditating. The mudra is highly beneficial and everyone is advised to practice it.
How to do: Put your palms on your legs facing the sky. Touch the tip of the thumb with the tip of the index finger while keeping the other three fingers straight and a little stretched.
Benefits: This yoga mudra increases concentration and memory and sharpens the mind. It also helps cure insomnia. Practicing this mudra on a regular basis, get rid of mental disorders like stress, anxiety, temper, depression and more.
- Vyau Mudra: This mudra can be practiced while standing, sitting or even lying down. And you can practice it anytime, anywhere as per your convenience. The best part is, you don’t have to be empty stomach to do this mudra.
How to do: Fold your index finger. Press the phalanx bone (the second bone you see when you fold the finger) of the index finger with the base of the thumb. Extend rest of the fingers as much as possible.
Benefits: As the name suggests, Vaayu Mudra, helps to balance the air element in the body. It releases excess air from the body thereby decreasing chest pain and rheumatic.
- Agni Mudra or Mudra of fire: This yoga mudra should be practiced early in the morning on empty stomach. Practice this mudra for at least 15 minutes every day. Don’t practice this mudra, if you have digestion issues or acidity.
How to do: Fold your ring finger. Press the second phalanx bone of the ring finger with the base of your thumb. Keep the rest of the three fingers straight.
Benefits: It helps burn extra fat, controls cholesterol levels, obesity and boosts metabolism. It quickens digestion process and increase body strength. It also helps get rid of stress and tension.
- Prithvi Mudra or Mudra of Earth: Although you can practice this mudra any time, but it would be best if you practice it early in the morning. Whenever you are stressed or exhausted, practice Prithivi Mudra as it immediately rejuvenates the body. Also, practicing this mudra regularly imparts glows to the skin.
How to do: Start in Padmasana keeping both the hands straight on your knees. Press the tip of the ring finger with that of the thumb. Extend the rest of the fingers.
Benefits: This mudra enhances the circulation of blood throughout the body. Practicing this mudra helps improve concentration, patience and tolerance. It helps gain weight and strengthens the weak and lean bones of the body. The mudra improves your complexion and gives a natural glow leaving you more beautiful. It relieves from exhaustion, fatigue, and dullness.
- Varun Mudra or Mudra of Water: This is the one of the best yoga mudras for external beauty. Varun Mudra is highly-effective for beautiful skin and promoting overall health. It is quite useful in getting rid of all sorts of skin problems. Practice it anytime during a day.
How to do: Sit cross-legged and gently touch the tip of the little finger with that of the thumb and keep the remaining fingers straight.
Benefits: As the name suggests, Varun mudra, balances the water level in the body. It moisturizes the body by fluid circulation within the body. It treats various skin problems and infections. The most common and most-hated pimples can also be cured with this mudra. It also relieves from muscle pain.
- Shunya Mudra or Mudra of Emptiness: The shunya mudra reduces the space (sky) element within the human body.
How to do: Touch the first phalanx bone of your middle finger with the thumb and press it.
Benefits: It amazingly cures earache within 5-10 minutes. It is quite beneficial for deaf and mentally challenged ones.
- Surya Mudra or Mudra of the Sun: One of the most famous in hand mudras. , Surya mudra reduces the earth element within the body.
How to do: Press ring fingers of both the hands with thumb.
Benefits: It helps improve digestion, reduce anxiety and bad cholesterol level. The mudra amazingly helps in weight loss.
- Prana Mudra: A very important mudra that energizes the whole body. Prana Mudra is recommended with Padmasana. Practice it any time as per your convenience.
How to do: Bend the little finger and the ring finger. Press the tip of both the fingers with the thumb.
Benefits: Prana mudra helps improve immune system. It cures various eye diseases and enhances eye sight and reduces fatigue.
Make these yoga mudras a part of your yoga practice and maximize your health at all levels.