Yoga is an art of peace, a methodology to celebrate the present moment, and a science to unite the body, mind, and spirit. Yoga is a pure discipline that rewards the practitioners with a sense of health, vitality, and goodness. The regular yoga practices aim to create a crystallized center, inner bliss, cessation of unwanted mental activity, and the creation of a beautiful divine soul. Yoga practices include the performance of yoga postures that are not only concerned with the physical body, they very well cover the mental and spiritual health as well. From greater awareness to robust health, the practice of plow pose (Halasana) does many wonders for the well-being of a person.
Just as the plow, a popular ‘Indian farming tool’ is used to prepare the land for the sowing of the crops, Halasana(Plow Pose) prepares the mind and body for relaxation and restoration. Many avid yogis claim that the practice of plow pose stretches the body, increases the blood flow to the head, improves memory and strengthens the shoulders, spine, and hamstrings.
Reap the glorious halasana yoga benefits by practicing the pose with proper attention to the alignment and correct breath regulation techniques. Understand the steps for performing the pose:
1. Lie flat on the back on a yoga mat with stretched legs and arms by the side. Keep the palms on the floor facing the ground.
2. Inhale, slowly lift the legs up above the floor vertically at a 90-degree angle.
3. Support the back with the hands and gently raise the hips, lower back off the floor.
4. Leisurely, extend the legs behind over the head and place the toes on the floor.
5. Keep the back perpendicular to the floor and neck relaxed.
6. Hold this posture for 15-seconds or more.
7. Exhale; release the posture by bringing the legs down on the floor and relax.
Given below is a list of the top Benefits of Plow Pose:
1. Improves Digestive System: The intake of packaged food with zero nutrition, relishing of junk delicacies, seasonal changes, etc., may lead to a poor digestive health. A tarnished digestive health gives rise to various problems such as constipation, acidity, indigestion, etc. One of the natural, cost-effective ways to strengthen the digestive fire is to practice the Halasana. The plow pose gives a gentle massage to the digestive system and strengthens the colon for proper assimilation of the food and provides relief from various stomach disorders. It is also effective in treating the disease of ulcerative colitis constipation.
2. Relieves a Backache: Our busy schedules and mostly sedentary lifestyle attached with heavy digital existence have resulted in a large number of people being afflicted with a backache. Injuries, poor posture, obesity, etc., are some of the reasons for bad spinal health. Therefore, back pain is a matter of concern and can be treated with the help of yoga. The plow pose stretches the back muscles and makes the spinal cord strong and flexible thus reducing lower back pain.
3. Reduces Stress: Many people live a highly stressful life and constantly juggle with competition, job problems, relationship discord, family fuels, and so much more. In the midst of all this, they long for a solution that can yield a far-reaching result and the practice of halasana benefits the individual with a calm and peaceful brain. When the halasana is performed with breathing techniques, it positively influences the psychological well-being of a practitioner.
4. Beneficial for diabetes: Diabetes can strike you anytime and excessive urination, a loss of concentration, high blood pressure are some of the problems that accompany it. If you wish for an alternate system to the painful insulins and tablets, then consider taking up the practice of yoga, especially, the halasana. The plow pose helps control the blood sugar levels, reduces the production of glucagon, lowers stress levels and greatly prevents the disease of diabetes.
5. Effective in Weight Loss: If strict diet plans and various fitness regimes have proven ineffective in burning fat from the body then delve in the practice of halasana that naturally sheds extra pounds of weight from the body and strengthens the waist.
6. Stimulates the Thyroid Glands: Inversions are about blood flow! The plow pose directs the flow of blood from the lower extremities to the head region, neck, glands (thyroid, pineal, pituitary) thus stimulating their functioning and directly enhancing the endocrine system.
7. Therapeutic for Leg Cramps: All those who are looking for ways to treat their painful leg cramps can perform halasana and can get rid of the muscle cramps effectively. The plow pose stretches the all the muscles of the thighs, legs, and calves resulting in flexibility and relief from cramps.
Halasana(plow pose) may look a bit exhausting and impossible to perform at a first glance but it is an excellent yoga posture with endless benefits. So, do not give up on its practice.
To Know more about the Benefits of Halasana, join yoga teacher training in India.