They are the two wheels of the human body, the primary vehicle of mobility and an inseparable tool of healthy and active living. Whether you are rocking an icy hockey game, astonishing an audience with your perfect arabesque or simply standing all day long, they are working for you. Are you still guessing? Well, it is the powerful and gracious legs critical for maintaining a vibrant life. And, it is disheartening to learn that we often take our legs for granted.
If you are feeling disconnected with your lower half then look no beyond than the traditional discipline of yoga. The Trikonasana (Triangle Pose) is an elegant and powerful yoga asana that connects you back to your lower half. It is one of the most cherishable yoga postures that teaches stability, expansion, and evenness, and makes you fall in love with it every time you practice it. From toning the legs to cultivating the same in the body and stabilizing the mind, it makes you experience true union with the conscious self — the ultimate aim of yoga.
Learn how to perform the Trikonasana (Triangle pose) in simple steps. Take a look at the pointers below:
1. Begin in parvatasana (mountain pose). Upon exhalation, set your feet 2-3 inches apart. Widen your shoulder blades and raise your arms to the sides parallel to the floor.
2. Turn your left foot slightly inward and twist the other foot out to 90-degree angle. Align the heels of both the feet with each other. Turn the right thigh outwards.
3. Extend the torso to the right side and bend down at hips. Now, rotate the torso to the left side and lengthen the tailbone.
4. Locate your right palm on your shin or the floor beside the right foot, whichever is comfortable. Raise your left arm upwards.
5. Turn your head towards the left side and softly look at the left thumb.
6. Stay in this pose for 30-60 seconds.
Discover the top seven benefits of Triangle pose. Have a glance at the list below:
1. Expands the side waist: The side waist is often neglected by many of us and triangle pose effectively opens the sides of the waist. Chronically, a tight side waist leads to alignment issues as well as pain and discomfort. Trikonasana offers a deep stretch to the side waist and opens it up for the practitioners as this area of the body normally gets neglected by many.
2. Opens the Hips: The forward bend and backward bend yoga postures effectively open up the glutes and hip flexors. However, many of us have completely forgotten the side muscles of our body, including the hip. The side hip muscles tighten up during cycling, running and walking. The triangle pose is highly important for each and everyone who uses their lower body area too much in the day-to-day activities. It effectively opens up the side hips.
3. Helps in External Rotation of the legs: External rotation of the legs is very important. Master it through a regular practice of triangle pose. Many of us stand with our legs internally rotated, and external rotation is crucial for strengthening the legs, pelvis, and building balance in the lower body. An added bonus for the avid yoga practitioners, a consistent practice of Trikonasana teaches you external rotation and prepares you for the advanced yoga postures.
4. Opens the heart: Some of the most adorable health benefits of Trikonasana are evident in the fact that Triangle pose is a gentle heart-opening yoga asana. If you practice the pose with correct alignment, then you will be rotating your chest upward while creating an arch in the back that subtly opens up the heart and upper body.
5. Strengthens the core muscles: If you practice triangle pose with precision and true to its tradition then it shall surely benefit your core. The pose encourages the usage of the abdominal and back muscles for creating a balance. The using of the core for holding the body up builds strength and stamina in the core muscles.
6. Lengthens the back: The rigors of everyday weaken the back. A triangle pose effectively stretches the back muscles, makes it strong, supple and saves you from the detrimental effects of arthritis and a backache.
7. Heals the Internal Organs: The twisting of the body in the Trikonasana massages the internal organs, enhances their ability to get rid of toxin, and set them for optimal functioning ensuring a complete health of the body.
Celebrate good health and well-being with a regular practice of Trikonasana.
To Know more about Trikonasana, join yoga teacher training in India.