The deadly disease of obesity is slowly becoming an epidemic across the globe costing many lives. Being obese endangers the physical, mental health, and is hazardous to the life of the person. Unhealthy eating habits alone are not responsible for obesity, but stress, changing lifestyle, insomnia, genetics, etc., are also the major causes.
No matter how fatal the disease is, the healing touch of yoga is for all. Through various yoga postures and practices, an individual can effectively reduce stress– the main cause of obesity and can maintain a healthier lifestyle that decreases the chances of its development. The performance of yoga postures with a regulated breathing detoxifies the human system on several levels. It strengthens the functioning of vital organs by enhancing the oxygen-rich blood supply and by making us conscious of our actions.
Given below is the list of best seven yoga poses of obesity that helps in regulating the various symptoms leading to obesity. Follow the instructions and benefits carefully.
1. Wind Relieving Pose (Pawanmuktasana): Lie upright on a yoga mat. Keep your legs unbent. Bend your knees and raise the thighs up towards the abdominal muscles. Hold the knees tightly in your hands. Slowly, extend the leg back on the floor. Now, again bend the left knee and stretch the right leg along the ground. Repeat the movement 5-10 times with both the legs for the same length of time.
2. Cow Face Pose (Gomukhasana): Sit tall on the floor with extended legs in front. Bend the left knee and place the left leg under the right hip. Fold the right leg and rest it on top of the left thigh. Keep the knees of both the legs close to each other. Take the left arm behind and place at the center of the back. Extend the right arm up, bend it over the shoulders and reach behind. Try to lock the fingers of both the hands. Hold this pose for 30 seconds.
3. Seated Forward Fold ( Paschimottanasana): Sit on the ground with erect spine and legs. Toes should be flexed and palms on the floor. Inhale and stretch your arms as high as possible. Exhale and bend forward at the hips while keeping the spine straight. As you hinge forward, bring your arms down and try to touch the feet. Rest the forehead over the thighs. You can close your eyes if you want. Hold this posture for 30-60 seconds.
4. Diamond Pose (Vajrasana): Kneel on a yoga mat with feet together. Sit back on your heels such that your hips rest on the heels and thighs on calf muscles. Keep your arms on your knees, palms down. Set your focus on an unmoving point in a forward direction. Be aware of your breathing. Hold this pose for 20-25 seconds.
5. Peacock Pose (Mayurasana): Start on your fours, knees wider than your hips. Bring your arms in front and place the palms on the floor with fingers pointing towards the stomach. Rest the elbows on the abdomen. Gently straighten your legs behind one by one and raise above the floor. Support the weight of the body on your hands. Keep your whole body in a straight line. Hold this yoga posture for 20 seconds.
6. Extended Triangle Pose (Utthita Trikonasana): Begin in a Tadasana. Upon exhalation, widen your legs a few inches apart. Pivot the right foot out to 90-degree angle and left foot inward. Exhale, turn your upper body in front of the right leg and place your right hand on the floor beside the right foot. Outstretch the left arm upwards. Gaze softly at the left hand. Hold this pose for 30 seconds.
7. Mill Churning Pose ( Chakki Chalanasana): Sit tall on a yoga mat. Widen your legs as much as possible. Extend your arms in front at shoulder-height and interlace your fingers. Take a deep breath and move your body in an imaginary circle. Perform 10 rounds in one direction and repeat the same on the other side.
Obesity can be treated naturally with the help of yoga. Make this yoga poses of obesity series your daily workout and effectively eliminate the disease of obesity from your life.