Many shall admit to the fact that we are busy juggling to create a work-life balance, and at times it becomes really hard to keep a check on the health. The daily stress, consumption of packaged food, lack of time to indulge in self-care, and so many other factors contribute towards a poor physical-psychical health. While being busy running around with our jobs and personal commitments, we tend to ignore the early signs of warning that later develop into serious issues.
Therefore, it’s imperative that we spare a few minutes to our own health and wellness. And, what better way to do it than practicing the natural system of yoga? Even an everyday practice of 10 minutes shall benefit you holistically. Moreover, the practice of Boat pose (Navasana) is the adornment of a healthy being.
As you dig into the Navasana, your body mimics the shape of a boat with sails and oars. The pose challenges, strengthens abdominal muscles, enhances concentration, and builds stamina. Given below are the seven stages of performing a Navasana (Boat Pose):
1. Sit on a yoga mat with bent knees and heels as close to the hips as possible.
2. Keep your hands 2-3 inches behind the posterior.
3. Lengthen your body from the top of the head to the hips
4. Slightly lean back and with an exhalation, lift the feet off the yoga mat.
5. Gently extend the legs in the front and keep the shins parallel to the floor.
6. Stretch the arms outward alongside the legs.
7. To exit the pose, bend the knees and rest the feet on the floor.
Here are some of the health benefits of boat pose:
1. Strengthens the Abdominal Muscles: Who doesn’t like abs? Sure, they look nice. But they are also equally important for keeping the body’s health. Strong abdominal muscles positively support a person in daily function, sports, and physical health. Strong abdominal muscles make a strong core and form a powerful axis for the whole body. The boat pose also bestows various benefits such as reduced back pain, better posture, and greater balance.
2. Improves the Functioning of Liver and Kidneys: The abdomen of a human body constitutes liver, kidneys, pancreas, etc. The performance of boat pose improves the health of all the abdominal organs, especially the liver and kidneys. A proper functioning of these organs detoxifies the body from toxins and regulates its fluids thus establishing a robust health.
3. De-stresses the Body and Mind: A Tranquilized mind is one of the remarkable mental benefits of navasana. It acts as a de-stressor. It makes the mind peaceful by warding off all the unwanted thoughts. Whenever in stress, practice the boat pose and revive your state of mind naturally.
4. Rectifies the Back Problems: With constant slouching and excessive forward movements, a backache and various back-related problems are inevitable. The painless method of boat yoga posture is highly helpful in reducing a backache and rectifying the associated problems. It effectively stretches the spine and strengthens the weak back muscles.
5. Promotes Healthy Weight Loss: If you wish to lose weight from your stomach, hips, and waist without any side effects then Navasana is the best choice to trust. The practice of boat pose helps shed extra pounds from the stomach and waist in the most desirable manner.
6. Enhances Blood Circulation: An increase in the blood flow within the body significantly benefits the heart and improves the lymphatic system. Increased blood circulation leads to the flow of oxygen-rich blood to the lower extremities as well thus providing relief from varicose veins.
7. Treats Navel Displacement: A problem which is still unrecognized by other sciences. The science of yoga acknowledges the problem of navel displacement that causes pain, affects the movement of prana, creates a feeling of nausea, and constipation. The boat posture corrects the misalignment of the navel-center and places it in its appropriate position.
8. Balances Hormonal System: An imbalanced hormonal system creates a disharmony within the body too. The hormonal disparity can lead to fatigue, depression, insomnia, and unhealthy cravings. Balance your hormonal system by performing navasana. A balanced hormonal system secretes healthy hormones within the body and keeps the organs in good health.
Reap the many health benefits of Navasana Pose through regular practice and make way for a healthier body and mind.
To know about Navasana in further detail, explore our Yoga Teacher Training In India.