Individuals practicing the spiritual discipline of yoga dating to 5,000 years back in the Indian Philosophy, passionately admit that they fell hard for the science of yoga ever since they stepped onto the yoga mat for the first time. From measurable transformations both at a physiological and psychological level to balancing the body, mind, and soul, there is no better healer and nurturer than the art of yoga.
By consciously moving the body into a certain yoga posture with awareness to the breath and sensations, the practitioners can effectively elevate the mood, transform their experiences, change their thinking pattern, and rise to a higher perception in life.
Ustrasana (camel pose) is one such kind of yoga posture that reduces major adversary of the body, dampens mental stress, rebalances the spirits, and promotes good health and wellness.
Learn the correct steps of performing the camel pose in order to reap the ustrasana yoga benefits to the maximum.
1. Kneel on the floor with an erect spine. Keep your legs hip-width apart.
2. Rest your hands on the back of the pelvis with thumbs placed on the sacrum.
3. Rotate your thighs inwards and keep your hips directly over your knees.
4. Inhale, lean backward, and expand your ribcage.
5. Keep your chest uplifted, core actively engaged, chin tucked towards the chest while you reach behind with your hands to grab the heels.
6. Gaze softly at the tip of your nose.
7. To come out of the pose, bring your hands back to the hips and slowly come up in a standing position.
8. Hold this pose for 30 seconds.
Avoid These Mistakes:
1. Do not tense your neck
2. Do not separate the knees wider than your hips and don’t crunch your back by squeezing the hips.
3. Always perform this posture under the guiding light of an experienced yoga teacher for proper alignment.
Take a look at the top seven ustrasana benefits:
1. Corrects Posture: The desk-bound jobs give rise to sore muscles, stress in the spine, that in turn result in poor posture. The practice of camel posture is a safe and natural way of improving the bad posture. Ustrasana stretches the entire body and strengthens the spine, thus rectifying the slumpy posture and its ill effects on the body and mind.
2. Shapes up the body: Say ‘No’ to rigorous workouts, fad diets and turn towards the camel posture that effectively reduces fat from the stomach, thighs, arms, and hips. The pose greatly helps in shaping up the body and grants you with a streamlined physique. A strong, lean-built makes a person look attractive, provides stamina, boosts self-esteem, and makes you feel better overall.
3. Cardiovascular fitness: Camel posture is an excellent heart opening yoga asana that stretches the muscles of the chest, lowers blood pressure in people suffering from hypertension, enhances blood circulation in the body, and fosters a healthy heart.
4. Improves Digestion: Do you regularly suffer from acidity, bloating, indigestion, constipation, etc.? Digestive problems have become a part of daily routine of several individuals. Albeit, often painful and inconvenient. Ustrasana detoxifies the body and enhances circulation to the digestive tract thus improving digestion, appetite, and excretion of food.
5. Stimulates Thyroid Glands: The camel pose powerfully stretches the muscles of the neck region where the thyroid and parathyroid glands are situated. The stretching stimulates these glands and improves their functioning, thus enhancing the production of their hormonal content. This yoga posture also positively acts on the endocrine glands, alleviates diseases related to ovaries, pineal glands, etc.
6. Opens the Heart Chakra: The daily practice of camel pose unlocks the heart chakra, also known as the Anahata. The opening of the heart chakra colors the life with love, compassion, and beauty. It is the center of the deep bonds with other human beings, a place of kindness, respect, and altruism. When we are in a camel pose, Anahata opens up and allows the powerful energy to flow freely to enrich the life.
7. Stress Buster: One of the most notable benefits of camel pose is stress and anxiety relief. The backbend opens the mind, releases tensions, and revitalizes the brain. Calm mind increases creativity, enhances concentration, and alters into a healthier perspective.
Practice camel pose, experience how it exerts its mystical effects and, continue to explore the positive effects of ustrasana on your body and mind.
To Know more about Ustrasana, join yoga teacher training in India.